mardi 8 décembre 2015

Reasons to login and goal making

I thought that I would be different from the others. I thought that I would login to do things. I have to face the reality : I am connecting on Kronos only for raids and the social interactions.  I have joined the raid-logger pack. Now, it is not necessarily a bad thing and I do login on rare occasions for  other mishaps like world PvP or a couple AVs. The problem is that it doesn't seem to matter much to me. What mattered was raiding. Raiding offered me a personal challenge. Without it I am left without goals. And without goals I don't feel the drive to do much. The question then becomes : How do I find my next goal? What would be the common advices?

  • I could level another character to 60. But that takes way too long and for the most part it is boring and unchallenging to me
  •  I could do more PvP for ranks. But either I am not good enough or my gear doesn't allow me to survive long enough, or maybe I would be better with a different class (that I won't level)
  • I could challenge the best PvP players on the realm. But I would die in a second.
  • I could try getting pets or mounts. But I find that a felhunter, dreadsteed or succubus is plenty enough.
  • I could get more gold. But I don't need it.
  • I could find gear upgrades outside of raids. But either I'll have to farm heavily (Silithus bracers), or I will  have to spend hours for it (Valthalak's staff) and in the end I probably won't even notice the difference during raids
Tekai getting some PvP ran- wait no, *trying* to get some PvP rank
After writing this list it gets pretty clear to me that the problem is not that I cannot find goals. Rather it is that those goals are not meaningful enough to me. They are not tailored to me and as such they cannot work, they do not motivate and/or reward me.
Many players (me included) make the mistake of telling other players what goals they could have, and often it doesn't work.  It is a bit as if I told someone I didn't know anything about to do more sport. He has got no reason to, no motivation to. Without motivation, meaning or reward most behaviours will not happen.

I also notice something else : The reasons I give for not doing something do not match what I actually do. A couple days ago I did run 2x Stratholme to get a necklace upgrade, yet I knew I wouldn't notice the difference, and it did take hours. So I can't trust my first gut feeling. I have to trust what really makes me play. And finding what it is can be a hard endeavour. As might be illustrated by the level 60 players leaving Kronos. Or most players leaving a game.

Thinking about it I think the conclusion is that you can always find some goal and some motivation to play. Regardless of what content there is. There will always be something to do. You can play with blindfolds, you can play without sound, you can play with your feet, you can collect all items in the game, etc. A goal is never stupid, a goal is just a goal.

Taking my example into account maybe there is a different approach. 

What if I found back what I did in the past, searched for what I liked and why and made goals that focused on that? What if I suggested to players to try out different things without specific goals until they find something they like? Why should I be unhappy that I only connect for raids if raids are fun for me? What if writing about the game or interviewing players is what interests me?

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire