dimanche 24 janvier 2016

How I make my interviews with players

While making player interviews on Kronos I have discovered that I much prefer doing that than many other activities. Some of those even proved better than raids! I thusly decided to make a guide about how I do them, should someone be interested in continuing this tradition.

Now, this is my way to do them. It is not the best, it is not the most effective but it works for me and results in some nice interviews I like reading and enjoyable conversations and that is what matters to me. Your experience will probably differ and you should feel free to change things around and adapt them to your needs and limitations.

First, the steps :
  1. Prepare the questions and a place to take notes (Google doc)
  2. Find some time
  3. Log on the character you want to make interviews from
  4. Select the population you are interested in
  5. Whisper players asking them if they want to participate
  6. Thank the player for whatever answer he gives
  7. Send questions and bonus questions
  8. Take notes
  9. Reply, add some personal views and anecdotes, have an exchange
  10. Thank the player again
  11. Put the interview on a google doc shared with comments
  12. Send the player an in game message with the Google doc link
  13. Discuss edits and comments on the Google doc (if any)
  14. Send a message with when it will be published
  15. Publish!
Here is a short pdf guide about it that sums things up : How to make  WoW player interviews

Now, for a couple more in-depth details and some illustrations...




1. My interviews consist of about 10 open-ended questions. I prefer to make them in a whisper exchange, not only is that more dynamic, it allows me to further develop some points and it makes the interview two-way thing. This means it can take anywhere from 20' to over an hour and because it can be difficult to find players again I like to finish it in one go.

2. While I have no proof I believe that being on your main character, especially if he is level 60 increases the chances that players will answer. Besides this is a proof of honesty, you are on your main character.

3. My wish was to select players that are unlikely to be on the forums (but if someone is interested I sometimes go with it regardless). This is why I prefer leveling players and those without guilds or in guilds I do not know much about. I had decided to get each level range and class so I found my players with /who 20-30 c-hunter and then I rolled the number of players to find which one I ask.

4. Copy the base message and then send it. I then wait about 5 minutes, if I get no answers I ask someone else. Be prepared to have many players not answering and not being interested. This is fine.

5. If the player answered then thank them, whatever their answer, it is already nice from them to have done that effort. Not everyone is interested in interviews or has the time for it. Copy / Paste the message. Either allow or refuse to make the interview only via email.

6. Copy and send the questions you have prepared. I prefer open-ended questions so that players can give their own points of view. My questions had multiple adjustements, refinements to make them more understandable, etc. I have some bonus questions that I do not always ask to add a surprise element and it gives me some diversity.

7. I try to write the full answers on a word document (you could do that directly on your google doc), sometimes I add questions on it that I would have liked to ask for further development. It is important to keep the wording and meaning as close to what the player said, remember, it is his interview, not yours. But you do have a way to write things. Think about the order of your questions, if they are too personal, too soon in the discussion or such. Try to make it dynamic and creative, with questions that are never exactly the same.Give time to answer.

8. Be careful not to influence too much what the player says (unless that is what you want), if you mention that you dislike PvP he could then go and talk about PvP but wouldn't have done it otherwise. Show empathy, comprehension, curiosity and never judge. And you are not a robot, so add some personal things, say when it is fun or sad or wierd or if you don't understand. If a player hates Kronos that is his right, I may not share the same views and beliefs of the different players I interview but I can understand he has those for reasons. Keep track of your own beliefs, feelings etc. Encourage. Be understanding, kind. If you have other questions during this exchange, do not hesitate to ask them. No wrong answer.

9. I thank the player again for his participation and efforts. I try to make it more personal with what details I liked most. I often add that they may whisper me again for questions or such.

10. Self-explanatory. I try to keep what the player initially said and not allow too many changes to stay true to his first impressions. Sometimes they want to add stuff or so.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire